Tips and tricks for making parenting FUN again!

Tips and tricks for making parenting FUN again!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Making Studying More FUN


My son with the entire contents of his take-home folder one day- all 100 A’s! :-)
I am a total goofball (hence the name of this blog) and so I love to joke around with my kids when helping them study for tests. It makes it more fun for both of us, and I think that it also makes the information more memorable.

Recently, for example, my son had a science test he was studying for. I used his notes to quiz him, asking things like, “Okay, so the food chain- that’s what you put around your food so no one steals it, right?” “An herbivore eats herbs, a carnivore eats carnivals, and an omnivore says OMI NOMI NOMI NOM when it eats. Yes?” My son would giggle and shake his head as he said, “NO, Mom!!” Then he would explain the right answer to me.

I do similar things when quizzing him for spelling tests- I make sure that the sentences I use to give him the words are a little bit silly. In the past, I’ve even helped him learn his words by making up silly stories that use all of his spelling words, then printing them up with the words in bold. That way he can read them multiple times and get used to seeing them spelled correctly.

Remember, a little laughter goes a long way, and it can turn a chore into a cherished memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment